Quotes from villains who were completely right in their motives or views? Perhaps you’re skeptical about the title of this article considering that villains are usually the bad, often unreasonable characters in fiction.
But though villains may be on the wrong side in the fictional universe their movies, TV shows, and books are set in, they are known to occasionally utter words of wisdom that make us think again.
There are good reasons why so many villains are more popular than the heroes in their stories, even though they do evil things.
Besides the antagonists often being more interesting, many of the best villain quotes make sense. The quotes from villains can help us understand their reasons and motives better, learn something new, and get inspired. We may find ourselves relating to or even rooting for these bad fictional characters.
In this post, we have compiled a list of great quotes from villains who were actually right about their motivations, about life; the way the world works, and how humans are like. From Voldermort to the Joker and more, here are some of the best villain quotes that make sense.
Best Quotes from Villains Who Were Completely Right
Jump to a Section:
- Disney villain quotes that were right
- Marvel quotes from villains who were completely right
- DC quotes from villains who were right
- More quotes from villains who were actually right
- Bonus quotes from real-life villains that make sense
Disney Villain Quotes That Were Right
- Success doesn’t come for free. You have to do whatever it takes to seize your moment. – Ernesto de la Cruz (Coco).
- The world is dark and selfish and cruel. If it finds even the slightest ray of sunshine, it destroys it. – Mother Gothel (Tangled).
- A great hunter doesn’t waste his time on rabbits. – Gaston (Beauty and the Beast).
- Life’s not fair. Is it my little friend? While some are born to feast, others spend their lives in the dark begging for scraps. The way I see it, you and I are exactly the same. We both want a way out. – Scar (Lion King).
- Each dog barks in his own yard. – Shere Khan (The Jungle Book).
- You can’t get something for nothing, you know. – Ursula (The Little Mermaid).
- A woman doesn’t know how powerful her voice is until she has been silenced. – Ursula (The Little Mermaid).
- You’ve worked so hard to get here. It’s what you’ve wanted since you were a kid. You can’t quit. – Bellwether (Zootopia).
- The good thing about evil people is you can always trust them to do something, well, evil. – Cruella.
- It’s funny how those happy accidents can change the whole direction of your life. – Cruella.
- Now you respect me. Because I’m a threat. That’s how it works. – Syndrome (The Incredibles).
- You can’t count on anyone, especially your heroes. – Syndrome (The Incredibles).
Marvel Quotes from Villains Who Were Completely Right
- People think in terms of good and evil, but really, time is the true enemy of us all. Time kills everything. – Kaecilius (Doctor Strange).
- The hardest choices require the strongest wills. – Thanos (Avengers: Infinity War).
- Dread it, run from it destiny arrives all the same. – Thanos (Avengers: Infinity War).
- As long as there are those that remember what was, there will always be those that are unable to accept what can be. – Thanos (Avengers: Endgame).
- An empire toppled by its enemies can rise again. But one which crumbles from within? That’s dead forever. – Zemo (Captain America: Civil War).
- I can’t control their fear, only my own. – Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch (Captain America: Civil War).
- Everybody dies. That’s just life around here. – Erik Killmonger (Black Panther).
- Sometimes, to do what’s right, we have to be steady and give up the things we want the most. Even our dreams. – Otto Octavius/Doc Ock (Spider-Man 2).
- Don’t ever apologize for being the smartest one in the room. – Mysterio/Quentin Beck (Spider-Man: Far From Home).
- There were over a dozen extinction-level events before even the dinosaurs got theirs! When the Earth starts to settle, God throws a stone at it. And believe me, He’s winding up. We have to evolve. There’s no room for the weak. – Ultron (Avengers: Age of Ultron).
- Giant leaps will always come at a cost. – Carlton Drake (Venom).
- They try and silence those of us who ask questions. But you know what? In the end, we’re the ones who change the world. – Carlton Drake (Venom).
- You want society to accept you, but you can’t even accept yourself. – Magneto (X-Men: First Class).
DC Quotes from Villains Who Were Right
- What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power. You fear your anger, the drive to do great or terrible things. – Henry Duccard (Batman Begins).
- In their last moments, people show you who they really are. – The Joker (The Dark Knight).
- Their morals, their code; it’s a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They’re only as good as the world allows them to be. – The Joker (The Dark Knight).
- If you’re good at something, never do it for free. – The Joker (The Dark Knight).
- You thought we could be decent men, in an indecent time! But you were wrong. The world is cruel, and the only morality in a cruel world is chance. Unbiased, unprejudiced, fair. – Harvey Dent (The Dark Knight).
- Computers rule the world today. And the fellow that can fool the computers, can rule the world himself. – Ross Webster (Superman III).
- Friendship’s a fairy tale. Respect and fear are the best you can hope for. – Lex Luthor (Smallville).
- If you have a gun, you can rob a bank. But if you have a bank, you can rob anyone. – Black Mask/Roman Sionis*.
- We all could go insane with just one bad day. – Jerome Valeska (Gotham).
- A foundation has to be built on something. – General Zod (Man of Steel).
> 10 Reasons Why You Should Go to the Movies Alone (and Not Feel Weird or Sad)
> The Impact of Movies, TV Shows, Video Games, and Music on Mental Health
> 10 Signs of Main Character Syndrome and How to Get Rid of It
More Quotes from Villains Who Were Completely Right
- Let the past die. Kill it if you have to. It’s the only way to become what you were meant to be. – Kylo Ren (Star Wars: The Last Jedi).
- Be careful not to choke on your aspirations. – Darth Vader (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story).
- Some things are far more frightening than death. – The Grand Inquisitor (Star Wars Rebels).
- Power is power. – Cersei Lannister (Game of Thrones).
- An apology doesn’t mean anything if you’re not looking the person in the eye. – Ramsay Bolton (Game of Thrones).
- Traditions are important, where are we without our history? – Ramsay Bolton (Game of Thrones).
- Greatness inspires envy, envy engenders spite, spite spawns lies.” – Voldemort (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince).
- Of course, it’s not what you know; it’s who you know. – Draco Malfoy (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix).
- Sometimes the people closest to you can be the ones holding you back the most. – Peter Hale (Teen Wolf).
- Being young and beautiful is not a crime you know. – Meredith Blake (The Parent Trap).
- Playing fair, being scared, that gets you nowhere. That just gets you beat. – Marla Grayson (I Care a Lot).
- Justice will prevail you say. But of course it will. Whoever wins this war becomes Justice. – Donquixote Doflamingo (One Piece).
- You don’t know what it’s like to be an outsider. To always be afraid. To be ashamed of how you were born. To have to hide who you are. – Morgana Pendragon (Merlin).
- Sometimes you’ve got to do what you think is right and damn the consequences. – Morgana Pendragon (Merlin).
- You don’t arm yourself after war has been declared, Stefan. You build your army so big that no one dares pick the fight. – Klaus Mikaelson (The Vampire Diaries).
- People do what is in their best interest, regardless of who gets hurt. Is it evil to take what one wants, to satisfy hunger even if doing so will cause another suffering? What some would call evil, I believe to be an appropriate response to a harsh and unfair world. – Klaus Mikaelson (The Originals).
- Humans are a unique type of pest, multiplying and poisoning our world all while enforcing a structure of their own. – Vecna (Stranger Things).
- Maybe it’s up to me to do what the good people can’t. Or maybe there are no good people. Maybe there are only good decisions. – John Reese (Person of Interest).
- Power flows to the one who knows how. Desire alone is not enough. – Megatron (Transformers).
- As long as there is a concept of victors, the vanquished will also exist. – Madara Uchiha (Naruto).
- Wake up to reality! Nothing ever goes as planned in this accursed world. The longer you live, the more you realize that in this reality only pain, suffering, and futility exist. – Madara Uchiha (Naruto).
- We’re both just ordinary men who have been driven to seek vengeance in the name of justice. And, if one comes to call vengeance justice, such justice will only breed further vengeance and trigger a vicious cycle of hatred.” – Nagato/Pain (Naruto).
- Harden yourself against subordinates. Have no friend. Trust no woman. – Sethi (The Ten Commandments).
- Well, hug your kids, right? ‘Cause you never know what might happen. – Homelander (The Boys).
Bonus Quotes from Real-Life Villains Who Were Right
- No man is truly innocent. I mean we all have transgressed some way in our lives. – Ted Bundy.
- I don’t want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me. – Frank Costello.
- The only preventative measure one can take is to live irregularly. – Adolf Hitler.
- It’s better to be hanged for loyalty than rewarded for betrayal. – Vladimir Putin.
- There is a time to fight, and there is a time to be clever. – Pablo Escobar
And there you have them. The above are some great quotes from villains who were completely right. Do you know more villain quotes that make sense?
Many of us used to see things in black and white when we were younger and would always judge the villains harshly for their actions. But as we grow older, we get to know that, in most cases, things aren’t that straightforward.
Some villains usually have understandable motives and good reasons for acting the way they do. Also, most of them are quite smart, and some don’t even consider themselves the bad guys in the story. That is why we have gotten some great quotes from villains who were right in their motivations and the way they see the world or understand humans and other beings.
Read more articles from Aisles of Life here.