Whether you are battling chronic depression or just feeling low right now, reading quotes about depression can help you stop feeling so alone and down.
From famous people to ordinary individuals, no one is immune to depression. A report by the World Health Organization (WHO) indicates that around 3.8% of the population is suffering from depression, with an even bigger percentage struggling with other mental health issues.
Quotes are well known for their power to positively impact us. We can relate to those who said these words and feel like someone out there understands what we are feeling. Quotes also encourage and inspire us, and are among the best things you can read when feeling depressed.
This post is a compilation of quotes about depression from people who have felt something close to what you are going through right now. These depression quotes may hit hard, but they will also help you feel less alone. You will take comfort in knowing there are people who understand your current situation because they are in the same boat or have SURVIVED depression. Let’s dive in…
* 5 Reasons Why It’s Okay to Not Be Okay
* Is It Depression or Just Laziness? How to Know the Difference
* 10 Ways to Cope When Everything Feels Heavy and Overwhelming
Depression Quotes That Hit Hard but Help You Feel Less Alone
- “I wanted to talk about it. Damn it. I wanted to scream. I wanted to yell. I wanted to shout about it. But all I could do was whisper, ‘I’m fine’.” – Unknown
- “A big part of depression is feeling really lonely, even if you’re in a room full of a million people.” – Lilly Singh
- “The other thing about depression is it kind of collapses time. Suddenly, you find your whole days blending together to create one endless and suffocating loop.” – Zendaya as Rue Bennett, Euphoria
- “There are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds.” – Laurell K. Hamilton
- “Depression is like a bruise that never goes away. A bruise in your mind. You just got to be careful not to touch it where it hurts. It’s always here, though.” –Jeffrey Eugenides
- “It feels like everyone else is moving on with their lives while I am stuck here, in this hole that I can’t climb out of.” – Unknown
- “I found that with depression, one of the most important things you would realize is that you’re not alone.” – Dwayne Johnson
- “A human being can survive almost anything as long as she sees the end in sight. But depression is so insidious, and it compounds daily, that it’s impossible to ever see the end.” – Elizabeth Wurtzel
- “The worst kind of pain is when you’re smiling just to stop the tears from falling.” – Hiro Mashima
- “Sometimes the strongest people are the ones who love beyond all faults, only truly grieve behind closed doors, and fight battles that nobody knows about.” – Unknown
- “It’s so difficult to describe depression to someone who’s never been there because it’s not sadness. I know sadness. Sadness is to cry and to feel. But it’s that cold absence of feeling – that really hollowed-out feeling.” – J.K. Rowling
- “I tell myself that tomorrow holds better days but it just never really happens anymore.” – Unknown
- “People who have never dealt with depression think it’s just being sad or being in a bad mood. That’s not what depression is for me; it’s falling into a state of grayness and numbness.” – Dan Reynolds
- “I didn’t want to wake up. I was having a much better time asleep. And that’s really sad. It was almost like a reverse nightmare, like when you wake up from a nightmare you’re so relieved. I woke up into a nightmare.” – Ned Vizzini
- “Depression is living in a body that fights to survive, with a mind that tries to die.” – Unknown
- “Depression taught me the importance of compassion and hard work, and that you can overcome enormous obstacles.” – Rob Delaney
- “The hardest thing about depression is that it is addictive. It begins to feel uncomfortable not to be depressed. You feel guilty for feeling happy.” – Pete Wentz
- “She says she’s fine but she’s going insane. She says she feels good but she’s in a lot of pain. She says it’s nothing but it’s really a lot. She says she’s okay, but really she’s not.” – Unknown
- “I want to take a nap. I am not tired or sleepy. I just don’t want to be awake.” – Unknown
- “I’m not sure if I’m depressed. I mean, I’m not exactly sad. But I’m not exactly happy either. I can laugh and joke and smile during the day, But sometimes when I’m alone at night I forget how to feel.” – John Green
- “That feeling when you’re not necessarily sad but you just feel really empty.” – Unknown
- “It’s like being in a glass elevator in the middle of a crowded mall; you see everything and would love to join in, but the door won’t open, so you can’t.” – Lisa Moore Sherman
- “I saw the world in black and white instead of the vibrant colors and shades I knew existed.” – Katie McGarry
- “I wanted to write down exactly what I felt but somehow the paper stayed empty and I could not have described it any better.” – Unknown
- “I don’t think people understand how stressful it is to explain what’s going on in your head when you don’t even understand it yourself.” – Sara Quin
- “Depression is being colorblind and constantly told how colorful the world is.” – Atticus
- “If you know someone who’s depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn’t a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.” – Stephen Fry
- “I am bent, but not broken. I am scarred, but not disfigured. I am sad, but not hopeless. I am tired, but not powerless. I am angry, but not bitter. I am depressed, but not giving up.” – Unknown
- “You say you’re ‘depressed’ – all I see is resilience. You are allowed to feel messed up and inside out. It doesn’t mean you’re defective – it just means you’re human.” – David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas
- “I have depression. But I prefer to say, ‘I battle’ depression instead of ‘I suffer’ with it. Because depression hits, but I hit back. Battle on.” – Unknown
* How to Think Positive Thoughts When Everything Feels Negative
* Toxic Positivity: What It Is, Why It Is Harmful, and 5 Ways to Avoid It
* 6 Reasons Why You Push People Away and How to Stop Doing It
* 7 Types of Affirmations That Can Change Your Life (with Examples)
And there you have them! The above are some depression quotes that hit hard but will help you feel less alone. These quotes about depression will remind you that you are not the only one struggling with this mental illness and encourage you to stay strong while going through this difficult time.
If you are not depressed, but a loved one is, the above depression quotes will help you understand them better. These quotes about depression will provide insight into how these people feel and how this mental disorder impacts their daily life. Fighting depression can be very lonely. Hopefully, reading the above depression quotes will help you know how to be there for your loved ones who may be struggling.
Feeling understood and having your emotions validated can go a long way when you are depressed. That is what the above depression quotes will do for you. You can relate to them and hence will feel less alone in this. You are not alone. Just hold on, and THIS TOO SHALL PASS.
NOTE: Depression is dangerous. If you are struggling or need someone to talk to, please reach out to a friend or family member, seek professional help from a therapist, or call these CRISIS HOTLINES for assistance.
Did you enjoy this post? Please share it.
Let’s connect: Twitter . Pinterest . Facebook . Instagram . TikTok . VK
Read more articles from Aisles of Life here.
6 thoughts on “30 Depression Quotes That Hit Hard and Help You Feel Less Alone”
Comments are closed.